For some strange reason I had this urge to eat Japanese food over the weekend. It had made me reminisce of the past when I was living in Hawaii and the huge influence of Japanese culture on the food scene. When I think of Japanese food, I am also met with feeling of nostalgia as it is my go to comfort food. With that I decided to make Japanese Tonkatsu Curry.
Given that the prices of Japanese food in Thailand is quite expensive the ingredients to this dish is quite cheap and easy to make. So I took upon me to recreate this dish at very affordable cost.
Here are the things you need to make the dish
Main Ingredients (Indicated qty per 1 person)
- 1 slice Pork chop (approx. 1 cm thick)
- 1 pc potato (peel and chopped in small cubes)
- 1/2 pc carrot (peeled and chopped into small wedges)
- 1 egg
- 1 small bowl cooked jasmine rice
- 1 pack all purpose flour
- 1 pack bread crumbs
- 1 pack Nori [dried seaweed] (sliced in stripes)
- 500 grams water
- 2-3 pcs red chili peppers (optional)
- 2 pcs Golden Curry bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp salt
Creating Your Dish
A. Curry Sauce
- Boil 500 grams of water and add salt to the water
- Add chopped potato and carrots to the boiling pot and cook until slightly soft
- Mix 2 cubes of Golden Curry bouillon cubes and stir constantly
- Reduce until curry sauce is a thick consistency with potatoes and carrots soft
B. Fried Pork Cutlet
- Coat pork chop in all purpose flour
- Dip flour coated pork chop in egg mixture
- Repeat steps 1 & 2
- Cover the pork chop mixture with bread crumbs
- Deep fry in pan until golden brown on medium-high heat (ensure the oil isn’t too hot as it will burn the outside before cooking contents inside)
- Scoop white jasmine rice onto a plate and garnish with nori
- Using a ladle pour curry sauce onto one side of the plate
- Place fried pork cutlet onto the curry sauce
Would love to see it!
Hey everyone, so this is my version of Japanese comfort food which I really enjoyed making. Let me know if you guys tried out the recipe and how it turned out, I would really love to see your pictures.