Laid upon a mountain of white jasmine rice rest a well seasoned crispy grilled beef patty. A blanket of thick brown sauce consisting of mushrooms and sliced sweet onions is drizzled over it. A beautifully fried egg is gently placed atop the gravy lathered beef patty. As a fork pierces into the egg, a river of yolk oozes out onto the dish. The combination of flavors are divine. This my friends, is one of the well-known comfort foods of Hawaii known as ‘Loco Moco’.
Simply one of the easiest and best comfort foods to make. This dish is one of the local favorites of Hawaii and is my interpretation of the dish with the following ingredient
- Minced Beef
- White Onion (Half an onion)
- Mushrooms (prefer Button or Shitake Mushrooms)
- Pack of Golden Curry Mix
- 1 Egg
- Green Onion (for garnish)
- Cooked Jasmine Rice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Note: For added flavor, McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning can be used instead of the salt and pepper as it already includes those ingredients in its seasoning
Directions for Creating the Magic
- Season minced beef with salt and pepper then roll it into a patty about the size of palm
- Add olive oil into pan and grill meat until golden brown on medium high heat. Do not press the beef patty during the cooking process as all the essential juices will drain and end up drying out the patty.
- Remove the beef patty from the pan once cooked and add white onions and mushrooms. The mushrooms and onions should soak up the flavors from the grilled beef. If the pan seems a bit dry, add a tablespoon more of olive oil to prevent it from burning and drying out.
- Once the mushrooms becomes soft and onions take on a translucent appearance, add 1 cup of water with 1 wedge of Golden Curry Mixture.
- Ensure that the Golden Curry Mixture is diluted in the water with the heat on simmer. As it begins to thicken, constantly stir to prevent it from burning to the bottom of the pan
- Place the beef patty on top of the jasmine rice, then drizzle the gravy over the patty
- In a separate pan, add olive oil and fry 1 egg until over-easy, then place over beef patty
- Chop the green onion stalks and sprinkle over dish to garnish
- Devour with enjoyment